Below is a travel guide for the small city of Ojai, California. Ojai is known for its variety of outdoor activities like hiking and biking, local wine tasting, and health-conscious eateries. Using my suggestions, you can enjoy the best restaurants, relax, and explore all of the locally-loved spots. Check out my “Ojai Guide” below for those who are visiting the city for the first time.
Eat & Drink
- Farmer and The Cook: a combination of a farm-to-table restaurant and a Mexican cafe, this bohemian spot is well-known among locals and tourists alike. Check out their website for live music updates!
- Ojai Rotie: cuisine described as “French Lebanese picnic” with a heavy focus on rotisserie chicken and a large selection of sides and salads. Everything is made fresh and they even sell homemade bread by the loaf.
- The Nest: an al fresco restaurant loved by locals for the eclectic menu and craft cocktails.
- Olive Oil tasting: Ojai Olive Oil is an award-winning company that produces organic oils, vinegars, and other products. Their farm is open to the public seven days a week and a visit includes a free tasting!
- Wine Tasting:
- Topa Mountain Winery – you can enjoy a tasting flight in a cozy lounge area or outside in their scenic gardens. Bringing your own food is encouraged!
- Majestic Oak – this little tasting room can be hard to miss, since it is down a small set of stairs off the main street. The shaded patio area is a relaxing spot to enjoy a bottle of wine.
- Tipple and Ramble – picnic shop and wine bar with an instagram-worthy outdoor setting. The menu includes small bites, local wines, and craft beers.
Explore the Area
- Hiking: Ojai has tons of walking paths and hiking trails, all ranging from easy to hard. Rose Valley Falls is a must-see and great for any type of hiker!
- Ojai Lavender Farms: open in the summertimes, you can explore the lavender fields, pick your own bundle, and find quality products to take home.
- Summer Camp – set in an abandoned gas station, this unique shop has a great collection of home goods and artisan gifts.
- Bart’s Books – a famous outdoor bookstore that contains a huge selection of books, including signed and first editions, rare art books, as well as new releases.
- Fig Curated Living – accessible through a secret garden alleyway, this shop embraces all of Ojai’s charm with homemade pottery, decor, and other personal accessories.