What is Dry-Brushing?
It is exactly what it sounds like – you use a firm, naturally- bristled brush against your skin in a circular motion before showering / bathing.
The Proper Way to Dry Brush
Neither the brush nor your skin should be wet in any way! The dampness will actually cause dead skin cells to plaster to your skin. You need to cause enough friction to be effective and the only way to do this is with dry bristles on dry skin.
- Starting at the feet and hands, rub the brush in a clockwise motion towards your chest area: work your way from the tips of yours toes upward and then from the tips of your fingers inward.
- Make sure to be gentle because you don’t want to break the skin.
- Most people do not use it on their face but if you prefer to – do not use the same brush that you have used on your body.
- Afterwards, take a steamy shower and follow-up with a moisturizer or body oil.
Benefits of Dry Brushing
- Lymphatic System: the lymphatic system is responsible for collecting and transporting waste in the blood. Dry brushing assists with this by stimulating the flow of blood and then flushes toxins from your body.
- Exfoliation: the process helps loosen and remove dead skin cells, which naturally exfoliates skin. Your skin will begin to look smoother and more rejuvenated.
- Clean Pores: it removes excess dirt and oil from your pores which will clear up your skin and leave it glowing.
Tools You Will Need
Make sure that the brush is 100% natural and the bristles are firm but not harsh. You can use one with an extra long handle which is great for hard-to-reach places or one with a strap which will fit securely in the palm of your hand. See the list below for my favorite brushes and body oils to use after!
Subscribe to Leisure of Living:
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I would never recommend anything I don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!