My homemade recipe for a spicy squash soup is considered as vegetarian and full of seasonal fall flavors! It is fiber-rich, helps support the immune system, and is high in nutritional value. This warm and spicy squash soup is made from roasted vegetables and other fresh, healthful ingredients. Enjoy!
the following recipe will make 6-8 bowls of soup
- 1 large squash, halved (can be butternut or acorn squash)
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium poblano pepper, halved
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can coconut milk
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Spices and herbs:
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pumpkin seeds
- Garden Cilantro
- Extra-virgin olive oil or creme fraiche
Prep the Veggies
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and prepare a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or mat.
- Next, cut the squash in half, remove seeds and place on pan. Cover with extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake squash for 30 minutes, remove from oven and add onion, poblano, and shallot to the same pan. Drizzle the extra veggies with oil and seasoning.
- Bake for another 30 minutes, then let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooled, scoop out squash flesh and discard the rind.
Make the Soup
- Place the roasted veggies in a large pot.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients and spices / herbs to the pot.
- Use an emulsifier / handheld blender to blend all of the ingredients together. If you do not have a blender, a food processor or high-speed blender will work as well!
- Bring soup to a boil and then turn heat to low. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
How to Serve
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and pumpkin seeds.
- Depending on whether you are vegan or not, use a small amount of olive oil or a dollop of creme fraiche.
Subscribe to Leisure of Living:
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I would never recommend anything I don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!