For long trips on the road, wholesome eats that will keep you fueled and focused are a must. So why not do a little prep work and start your journey off on the right foot? Lucky for you, I did all the research and came up with a list of easy recipes for healthy snacks that you can pack to take with you on your next road trip.
*all recipes below produce enough servings for 2 people*
Chili-Chocolate Fruit Bites
These little morsels are absolutely delicious and so simple to make! The spiced chocolate & salty garnish gives them the perfect combination of sweet, spicy, and salty.
- 4 oz dried fruit (you can either buy in-store, or make your own with a dehydrator)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Flake salt for garnish
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and place dried fruit in a single layer.
- Heat the chocolate chips on the stovetop over low heat and when it is fully melted, stir in the cinnamon & cayenne.
- Dip each piece of fruit halfway into the chocolate, let the excess drip off, and place back on the baking sheet.
- Lightly sprinkle the chocolate-covered sections of the fruit with salt.
- Refrigerate uncovered until the chocolate hardens (around 15 minutes). Store in an airtight container placed in a cool place for up to 2 weeks.
Baked Veggie Chips
A healthy alternative to store-bought chips! These snacks are colorful, crunchy, and full of flavor.
- 1 medium zucchini or squash
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3 small red potatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Dash of garlic powder & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice all the veggies into uniformly thin slices with a knife or mandoline.
- In a bowl, toss them with the oil & spices until evenly coated.
- Spread veggies on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip each piece, Then bake for another 10-15 minutes until crispy and slightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before storing.
Flavored & Roasted Chickpeas
A crispy and savory snack that is high in minerals and fiber.
- 2 (19oz) cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- 2 1/2 tsp of spice / herb mix (whatever you have at home!)
- onion powder, chili powder, curry powder, cumin, smoked paprika, rosemary, thyme, oregano, etc.
- 3/4 tsp of sea salt
- Dash of pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spread chickpeas in a single layer onto a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Stop every now and then to shake the pan.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and carefully add them to a bowl with the oil & spices.
- Toss well to coat the chickpeas evenly.
- Spread the them back onto the baking sheet and return to the oven for another 10 – 15 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and let cool before storing.
Subscribe to Leisure of Living:
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I would never recommend anything I don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!