This homemade pickles recipe is very easy to follow and will produce crisp pickles that are sweet and a little spicy! You can use them on sandwiches, burgers, charcuterie plates or by themselves for an afternoon snack. They also make great gifts for family and friends!
- Step 1:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups honey
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 packet pickling spice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 sprigs garden rosemary
- 2 sprigs garden thyme
- Step 2:
- 2 sweet onions (thick cut)
- 8 red serrano peppers (halved vertically)
- Step 3:
- 3 cucumbers (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
- 1/4 cup of salt
- In a large pot, combine the Step 1 ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Once mixture is boiling, add the Step 2 ingredients. Bring to a low simmer.
- Put the Step 3 ingredients in a separate mixing bowl and then let sit for an hour (covered). ** this draws out the moisture from the cucumbers so that they will absorb the pickling liquid**
- After one hour, wash off cucumbers in cold water and drain.
- Bring pickling liquid in pot to a rolling boil and then let cool.
- Combine the cucumbers and pickling liquid in a tall, glass container.
- Cover and refrigerate for one week.
- After a week, divide into sterilized mason jars and enjoy.
Subscribe to Leisure of Living:
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I would never recommend anything I don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!