Visiting your local famers’ market is one of the best ways to get inspiration for dishes. Not only are you supporting your resident farmers and businesses, you are also buying ingredients that are grown organically and therefore healthier for your body. Plus, seeing all of the fresh produce and other provisions laid out together can spark some great meal ideas! For example, I recently visited the farmers’ market in Santa Barbara (click here for more info) – and it was the first day they had peaches on sale. This gave me the idea for a delicious and refreshing summer salad.
My recipe for a peach, cucumber, and tomato salad is the perfect summer day snack. Made up of fresh produce, garden basil, and a simple dressing — this peach salad is light yet satisfying. The homemade basil-balsamic vinaigrette is a little acidic but sweet enough to bring out the flavor of the peaches.
Use my summer salad as an excuse to head down to your local farmers’ market and to compose a delicious and healthy meal! Bon Appétit.
I n g r e d i e n t s
For the salad:
- 1 medium- sized cucumber (diced into cubes)
- 2 small peaches (sliced into wedges)
- 1 medium – sized tomato (thinly sliced)
- Garnish: 4-6 garden basil leaves
For the balsamic-basil vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped garden basil (learn how to grow your own herbs here!)
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
I n s t r u c t i o n s
For the vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, basil, lemon juice, honey, and a pinch of salt.
- Gradually whisk in the oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream to make a smooth, slightly thick dressing.
- Stir in a couple turns of freshly ground black pepper.
For the salad:
- Place tomatoes and cucumbers in a medium bowl to season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon half of vinaigrette over and toss to coat.
- Layer the tomatoes and cucumbers with the peaches on a large plate.
- Drizzle the dressing over the produce and top with garden basil.
Subscribe to Leisure of Living
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I would never recommend anything I don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!