Eating clean can be hard. Especially for those of us who have the occasional (or constant) sweet tooth! Now that the weather is getting warmer, one of the treats that I always seem to crave is ice cream. Unfortunately, most ice creams are full of saturated fats, processed sugar, and other additives that are so harmful for our bodies! So how can we indulge in a guilty pleasure without actually feeling any guilt??
Below is the answer: my recipe for a healthy, chocolate banana ice cream is made with just a few ingredients that are all beneficial to one’s well-being. It is also easy to make, budget-friendly, and full of chocolate flavored goodness. This rich and creamy ice cream is guaranteed to satisfy that nagging sweet tooth!
- 3 bananas (semi-ripe to ripe)
- 1/4 cup Navitas Organics Cacao Powder
- 1/8 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (you can use any milk you prefer but I think coconut tastes the best with this recipe!)
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Toppings: cacao nibs, coconut whipped cream, diced fruit, coconut flakes, nuts, etc.
- Peel the bananas and cut them into small pieces.
- Freeze banana slices for 1-2 hours on a plate lined with parchment paper.
- Put the frozen bananas + the remaining ingredients into a food processor. (this Hamilton Beach Processor on Amazon is highly-rated!)
- Pulse until smooth – you will need to scrape the sides down throughout.
- For soft serve, you can eat immediately with the toppings of your choice!
- If you want a firmer, more ice-cream like texture: put the mixture into a metal container and freeze for about 2 hours or until it is hard enough to scoop.
What Makes This Ice Cream Healthy?
- Bananas: who needs processed sugar when you can use a natural source that is also high in potassium and fiber!?
- Coconut milk: I use coconut milk because it is lactose free, rich in fiber, and has tons of vitamins and minerals.
- Navitas Cacao Powder: a plant-based superfood that is nutrient-rich and full of antioxidants- it is also great for increasing immunity.
- Greek Yogurt: contains probiotics, which support the bacterial balance in the gut. Plus, it has twice the amount of protein than regular yogurt!
Subscribe to Leisure of Living