Cleaning your makeup brushes every week is extremely important! For one, it reduces the amount of bacteria in contact with your skin that will cause breakouts. PLUS your brushes won’t become damaged after consistent use. Making your own brush cleaner will save you money and ensures that all of the products put onto your skin are all-natural. My recipe for a homemade makeup brush cleaner is especially useful for those with sensitive, acne-prone skin.
How to Make It
Mix the following ingredients in a small bowl or travel-sized spray bottle
- 3 tablespoons of Dr. Bronner’s Pure – Castile Soap (I use the citrus scented one!)
- 6 drops of pure jojoba Oil
- 3 drops of lemon essential oil
- 1.5 tablespoons of water
*this recipe will clean up to 6 brushes (or 1 sponge) before needing to refresh the solution. Make sure to extensively rinse them off in warm water before letting air-dry*
What are the Benefits?
- Dr. Bronner’s Soap is the holy-grail of organic cleaning products! It will thoroughly clean the bristles by stripping away any oil, dirt, and leftover makeup. Using water with this is important because it dilutes the strength of the soap.
- The Leven’s Rose Jojoba Oil in this homemade makeup brush cleaner will condition your brushes, keeping them soft and smooth. Since it mimics the natural oils found in skin, you aren’t likely to breakout or accumulate any excess oils. It is also non-comedogenic, which means that it should not clog pores.
- Having Plant Therapy’s Lemon Essential Oil in your mixture provides even more anti-bacterial properties. Great for cleaning anything that will come in contact with your skin!
Subscribe to Leisure of Living
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I would never recommend anything I don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!