Using a family recipe, I created my own version of a homemade chili that can easily be made in a crockpot. This slow cooker method has become my new favorite because the cooking process allows the flavors to integrate thoroughly during the six hour cook-time. My homemade chili is thick, rich and fulfilling, perfect for a cool night at home.
Looking for durable and efficient cookware for the home or as gifts? Click here for 10% off at Xtrema Cookware! Everything is pure ceramic, all-natural, and made without any toxins!
- 2 lbs of ground beef (you could also use ground turkey, ground chicken, OR a mixture of ground beef and Italian sausage)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeño (diced)
- 2 (16 oz) cans of tomato sauce
- 1 (16 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) can of light red kidney beans
- 1 (16oz) can of dark red kidney beans
- 1 cup of water (or 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken broth)
- Chili seasoning:
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Toppings options:
- Greek yogurt, diced jalapeño, shredded cheese, hot sauce, scallions
- In a large pan, brown the meat with the onions, peppers, and chili seasoning.
- Drain the grease from the pan, and put the mixture into the crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Add a touch more of each spice + herbs.
- If you want, add a dash of red wine to increase the complexity of the flavors.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until reduced and noticeably thickened (you may want to stir it every hour or so).
This is the Cuisinart Crockpot that I use and I LOVE it! Easy to program and cooks evenly: click here to check it out!
Subscribe to Leisure of Living:
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I would never recommend anything I don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!