One of my favorite aspects about making some of my own self care products is being able to create something that will solve any issues that I am having with my body. For example, I recently moved to the West Coast, where the climate is a lot drier than my skin is used to. As a result, I am constantly dry brushing or re-applying lotion to maintain moisturized skin. Who even has the time for that?!
So, instead of choosing between ashy knees and time consuming care, I decided to take matters into my own hands. Below is my easy to make recipe for herbal body oil– it is guaranteed to keep your skin soft, glowing, and smelling great all day long.
- 16 oz. glass jar or bottle (sterilized)
- 2 cups of cold pressed base oil (sweet almond or grapeseed) – I usually add a couple of drops of jojoba oil as well
- 10 drops of sandalwood essential oil
- 5 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil
- 1/4 cup dried rose petals – you can also choose to use dried chamomile flowers
- Place the dried herbs into a medium-sized glass bowl, then pour in the sweet almond oil.
- Set the bowl on top of a saucepan that is filled halfway with water to create a double boiler.
- Over medium heat, allow the oil to infuse with the herbs for 1 hour. Refill the water in the saucepan as needed, and keep an eye on the oil mixture to make sure it doesn’t get too hot (it should never simmer).
- Once the oil has infused, carefully remove the glass bowl from the heat and allow to cool.
- Using a cheesecloth, strain the herbs from your oil. You may need to repeat this step 2-3 times to get all of the herbs out.
- Pour your infused body oil into a glass bottle/ or jar.
- The final step is to add your essential oils + any other oils you prefer like jojoba or rosehip.
- Spray or pour the oil directly onto the desired area
- Using a circular motion, massage gently into skin
- Allow to dry for a few minutes before putting clothes on
Subscribe to Leisure of Living
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I would never recommend anything I don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!