This mexican-style vegetable and chicken soup recipe is a healthy meal that is full of veggies, herbs, and flavorful chicken. It is great for a detox, immune support, and is high in nutritional value.
the following recipe will make 8-10 bowls of soup
- 1 whole chicken (bone-in, skin-on)
- Spice Rub:
- 1 teaspoon each of paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, oregano, brown sugar, finely diced rosemary, salt & pepper, and finely diced thyme
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 chayote squash (diced)
- 1 Mexican squash (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 jalapeños (diced)
- 4 cups raw cabbage (chopped)
- 2 red potatoes (diced)
- 3 cubes Knorr chicken bullion cubes
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lemon (sliced)
- 1 lime (sliced)
- 2 sprigs garden rosemary
- 2 sprigs garden thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon of worcestershire
- Dash of pepper
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado (diced)
- Cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tomato (diced)
- 1/2 jalapeño (sliced)
- Your favorite hot sauce!
Prep the Chicken
- Season your chicken liberally with a poultry rub.
- Stuff the chicken with more thyme, rosemary, sliced lemon, and lime.
- Smoke the chicken for 45 minutes in a charcoal BBQ pit or oven (on 450 degrees for 20 minutes).
Make the Broth
- Take the browned chicken and place it in a large pot of water (make sure it is completely submerged).
- Add the chicken bullion cubes.
- Simmer on low for around 45 minutes, simultaneously infusing your broth and cooking your chicken.
Assemble Your Soup
- Once the chicken is cooked through, set aside to cool.
- Next, cut the meat off the bones and shred. Leave the shredded pieces on a plate to cool off to the side.
- Begin to add your vegetables to the broth. Carrots and onions first because they take longer to cook.
- Fifteen minutes later: add the cabbage, jalapeños, red potatoes, and chayote squash.
- After 10 minutes: add the Mexican squash and a handful of dried herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano), two dashes of hot sauce, and some worcestershire to taste.
How to Serve
- Place a few handfuls of your shredded chicken into each bowl.
- Then ladle in your warm, delicious soup.
- Top with diced tomatoes, avocado, sliced jalapeños, cilantro, and your favorite hot sauce for an extra kick.
Subscribe to Leisure of Living:
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I would never recommend anything I don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!