Simple yet effective, this toothpaste recipe is an all-natural way to clean and whiten your teeth. You will also save money, avoid harsh chemicals, and minimize your plastic waste by switching to this healthy alternative. This DIY charcoal toothpaste recipe is easy to make and will change your oral hygiene for the better.
In a small jar, mix the following
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda (add more if you like a gritty texture)
- 1 opened capsule of activated charcoal (be careful when you open it!)
- 20 drops of essential oil (I suggest using peppermint, spearmint or cinnamon)
Activated charcoal is known for its detoxifying properties. This type of charcoal binds itself to stains below the surface of your teeth and draws them out– leaving your smile clean and bright!
Coconut oil is another ingredient with helpful characteristics- it pulls the harmful bacteria out of your mouth and boosts your overall oral health.
The essential oil you choose depends on the flavor you want as well as the benefits you are most interested in:
- Peppermint oil freshens breath and promotes oral hygiene.
- Cinnamon oil is an antioxidant that decreases inflammation and fights infections.
- Spearmint oil is antibacterial and improves respiratory health.
Subscribe to Leisure of Living
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission if you make a purchase. I would never recommend anything I don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!