Breakfast is important because it kick-starts your metabolism and helps you maintain concentration throughout the day. These oatmeal pancakes are the perfect meal for that because they are light yet filling enough to give you the boost you need.
I used to make pancakes straight out of a box but when I became more health-conscious, I began substituting the gluten, sugar and dairy products for more wholesome ingredients. Through trial and error, I found the alternatives that worked best together. My flapjacks are fluffy yet textured and sweet but not overwhelmingly so.
The following recipe will make 5-6 pancakes.
Oatmeal Banana Pancakes
- 1 cup of organic rolled oats (blended into flour)
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Dash of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon of Navitas Cacao Powder (OPTIONAL- a mayan superfood, great source of antioxidants, vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free)
*Combine the above in a mixing bowl. Pour batter into 4-inch size circles on a heated and sprayed pan.
- Cup of blueberries
- Sprinkle of ground ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Drizzle of honey
*cook the blueberries and added ingredients on low for 20 minutes in a sauce pan