Why buy pickles in the store when you can easily make them in the comfort of your kitchen? This recipe is simple, quick and the results are absolutely delicious!
The do-it-yourself technique was shown to me by my boyfriend and it has become a staple in our household. I decided it was too good not to share so I hope you all love making these as much as we do!
In a large pot, combine the following
- 1 pint of water
- 1 pint of sugar
- 1 pint of vinegar (1/2 apple cider, 1/2 white)
- 1 packet pickling spice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 sprigs garden rosemary
- 2 sprigs garden thyme
Bring pot to boil and then add
- 2 sweet onions, thick cut
- 8 red serranos, halved vertically
While the pot is simmering
- Cut 3 cucumbers into 1/4 inch slices
- Toss cucumbers with 1/4 cup of salt in a mixing bowl
- Let sit for an hour
* this draws out the moisture from the cucumbers so that they will absorb the pickling liquid
After 1 hour
- Wash off cucumbers in cold water and drain
- Bring pickling liquid in pot to a rolling boil
- Place cucumbers and pickling liquid in a tall container
- Cover and refrigerate for one week
Divide into mason jars and enjoy.
The pickles are tangy with some sweetness and a little spice- perfect on sandwiches, burgers, charcuterie plates or by themselves for an afternoon snack. They also make great gifts for family and friends!