Why buy pickles in the store when you can easily make them in the comfort of your kitchen? Not to mention it is a fun, DIY activity for the family that will soon become a staple in the household! My easy homemade pickles recipe will produce crisp, sweet and spicy pickles. You can use them on sandwiches, burgers, charcuterie plates or by themselves for an afternoon snack. They also make great gifts for family and friends!
- 1 pint of water
- 1 pint of sugar
- 1 pint of vinegar (1/2 apple cider, 1/2 white)
- 1 packet pickling spice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 sprigs garden rosemary
- 2 sprigs garden thyme
- 2 sweet onions, thick cut
- 8 red serranos, halved vertically
- 3 cucumbers, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup of salt
- In a large pot, combine ingredients 1 – 9, and then bring to a boil.
- Once mixture is boiling, add ingredients 10 – 11. Bring to a simmer.
- While the pot is simmering, toss ingredients 12 – 13 in a separate mixing bowl and then let sit for an hour (covered). ** this draws out the moisture from the cucumbers so that they will absorb the pickling liquid**
- After one hour, wash off cucumbers in cold water and drain.
- Bring pickling liquid in pot to a rolling boil.
- Place cucumbers and pickling liquid in a tall container.
- Cover and refrigerate for one week
- After a week, divide into sterilized mason jars and enjoy.
for another pickling recipe, click here for my DIY Preserved Lemons!
Subscribe to Leisure of Living